We hope you enjoy our second post here. Previously, only professional bakery companies had the financial ability to afford the proper technology to make edible plaques images.
Image: Edible Printer
Today, almost any amateur cake decorator can print edible plaques and/or images in their own home using their common machines such as their home computer and printer with only minimal money being spent on edible ink and sugar-sheets.
This article can be considered an introduction to edible image making, where readers will be educated on how to create their own edible images. Skills taught will include how to initially set up, operate and then maintain edible ink image apparatus. There are various ways to use this technology, with creative uses for edible artwork not limited to just photo cakes. Instances include the following:
l. Users can take an interesting page from a magazine, use it an outline and print the entire page and its contents directly onto a sugar sheet, cut out elements of the page (IE a celebrity handbag) and apply it your prepared cake. To emphasis colours, lines etc can be overdrawn to fill in the print design and give a more 3 dimensional feel.
2. Sugar-paste sheets make decorating cakes less time consuming and relatively straight forward in a practical way. Users can print an edible image to the desired shape and size ratio they require for their cake. Users simply have to cut out an edible image and then peel it from its backing sheet which is normally white plastic. Using the plastic backing sheet as a guide, the user will then attach it s cake using edible glue.
3. If you are feeling in a creative mood and are interest in making a 3 Dimensional style cake then this method will definitely aid you as well. Users can make or create the impressions of buildings, cars, planes, people and even baby play blocks and present cakes with this type of decoration without picking up a piping bag. simply just cover the tops and sides of a cake with edible artwork and your cake will come to life and in the process take on a new form and scope.
4. Users can also make practical use of sugar-paste sheets to make activity themed cakes. Activity themed cakes are designs that ame use of the technology to create an interactive activity for kids such as a maze, snakes and ladders or colour by numbers game. It amkes for much for a Child to enjoy adding their own touches to the these fun cakes with tubes of edible food pens – pretty pictures and drawings can be made.
Would you find a visual guide helpful? If so, watch the following video:
For more information from expert users on edible print technology, simply contact Cake in a Box, the online bakery company. By doing a search online for cakes Glasgow you will find the company contact details. Email them and their helpful staff will reply. It is advisable to explore and experiment with the edible image technology as possibilities are plentiful. Users could try honing their skills on not just cakes but cookies and candy etc.
The only limit is your imagination. If you element can be printed, then you can make an edible image from it.
Money Saving Aspects to the Technology
The technology could turn into a costly affair if due diligence is not given to utensils and equipment:
- Instead of purchasing new ink cartidrges every time they run dry, simply but some refill cartons for your edible ink cartridges.
- Users should do test prints on regular paper as to avoid wasting sugar sheets as paper is the less expensive option.
- Buying your utensils online separately is advisable. All in one kits are expensive and not good value for money
- Online stores like ebay and a good place to look for second-hand printers.
- If you look on some online cake forums you will find ample free printable artwork including users frames, various fonts and easy to use software to alter your prints
Some extra helpful tips:
- For cleaning a print head on your machine, it is advisable to use airbrush cleaning fluid.
- If users find that refill bottles tend to leak, then simply wrap the bottle threads with waterproof upvc tape.
- If users print the wrong size of image onto a sugar-sheet do not simply discard it. A wet cloth qickly after use will wipe away the edible ink if you react quickly. Simply leave the sheet to dry for a time afterward. Its will still be sufficient for future use.
Well we hope this article has been informative for you and the information provide will give you the confidence needed to experiment with edible printing technology. If you require any further information about aspects highlighted here then please drop us a line via our contact page.